Thursday, August 9, 2012

Greetings from the Principal

Greetings Families and Friends of Piqua Catholic Schools,

I want to share with you my excitement at serving as principal for Piqua Catholic Schools! I am looking forward to the opportunity the school year ahead presents for you and I to grow, learn, and serve Piqua Catholic Schools, our parishes, and the Piqua community.

Even in the short time that I have been at PCS, I have met many great people who attest to the quality education PCS has to offer. I have met alumni who are enrolling their children so the next generation of PCS students will also receive the same advantages that PCS has to offer: personal attention in small classes, a thirst for lifelong learning, and Christian Catholic values that foster each child to reach their potential.

I want to begin getting to know everyone. I will start by telling you a little about myself. I grew up in St. Michael’s parish in Fort Loramie and graduated from Fort Loramie High School, I have my BA from the University of Cincinnati, and my M.Ed. from Wright State University. I have worked at Fairlawn Elementary School and most recently Newton Local Schools. My wife Mary and I were married at St. Boniface 5 years ago. We have two sons, Sean (3) and Paul (1). I look forward to sending Sean and Paul to PCS when the time comes in a few years! Since becoming a parishioner of St Boniface, I have sold bread at the Piqua Heritage Festival, volunteered with Youth Ministry, and served on the St. Boniface Parish Council.

To help me get to know you, I have an open door policy, which means I am happy to listen and discuss your thoughts and ideas to help us move PCS forward. Communication between all members of the PCS community is vital for the success of our students!

In the spirit of communication, there are several items I would like to share with you regarding this upcoming school year. Piqua Catholic welcomes two new teachers this year. Ms. Jill Hamaker will be teaching 5th and 6th grade Science, Language Arts and Health. Ms. Stacy Stang will be teaching 7th and 8th grade Religion, 7th grade Science and 8th grade Math. We also welcome Mrs. Laura Bell as the new administrative assistant on the North Street Campus. There was an error with the school calendar for this upcoming year, please plan to send your children to school on October 12. It was scheduled as a Flex Day with no students, but it will be a regular school day. I look forward to meeting you at the school-wide Open House on Thursday, August 16 from 5:30 to 7:00 PM.

I want to invite all parents and families to attend our school masses this year. North Street Campus attends St. Mary’s daily mass at 8:45 AM on Fridays, and Downing Street Campus attends St. Boniface’s daily mass at 8:45 AM on Tuesdays. Our first All School Mass will be Friday, August 24 at 9:15 AM at St. Mary’s.

Through my years of study and work I have learned much about myself and what I believe, as a Catholic, as a parent, and as an educator, the truth of which is that each works well with the other. My Catholic faith is the foundation upon which everything else is built - my relationship with my wife, how I raise my children, how I make decisions in any particular situation. Everything stems from that foundation of faith.

This coming school year will have its challenges, however, we face those challenges together. With Christ as our focus, this will be a wonderful year. Please pray for me as I begin my journey with PCS, and join me in prayer for all the students, staff, and families of Piqua Catholic.

Go Cavaliers!

Yours in Christ,
Joshua Bornhorst